Monday 2 December 2013

THAT'S

What a bizarre name, but these were high quality tapes manufactured in
Japan by Taiyo Yuden. I was never really gone on the triangle window back in the day
but I guess they do look cool today and are highly collectable. Furthermore, when recorded properly your ears will soon tell you that these are serious tapes indeed!

MG-X 90 (Type IV)
That's Metal Master!
This is a high quality metal I used as a four track master in 1991
and these were on the market in the mid to late 80s.

VX 90 (Type II)
Chrome Position Perfection!
This baby boasts of 'Submicro Cobalt -Υ' whatever that means
but it sounded exciting back in the late 80s! I did a test with this tape
recently and it certainly delivers. The treble is tight and vibrant and not
at all fizzy, mids are detailed and engaging but the bass, the bass
now that you should hear, as I can only describe it as monster!

EX 46 (Type II)
A Metal in the Chrome Position!
This boasts of 'Metal Super Alloy' and is coated with particles
to give you Metal performance in the Chrome Position. Whether this
works in practice is debatable but no less this baby sounds superb!

FX 90 (Type II)
The upmarket Type I with Surface Cobalt!
This mix of ingredients in the tape give this guy the edge
on the competition. It sounds pretty good too I must add.

AS 54 (Type I)
That's Normal.
This is a Type I from the early 90s. Check out the cool labels!
This was posted to my house and contained a demo by a band!

CD/IVF 100 (Type IV)
A Metal Masterpiece!
Designed by Italy's Guigiaro believe it or not, this is a serious
metal tape with style and sounds incredible. The menacing red hubs peep
out only to tease the staunchest tapehead!

EX 90 (Type II)
A Metal in the Chrome Position!
See the EX46 above!

RX 90 (Type I)
The basic That's tape from 1989.
I like the 'Close Spinelic Υ' written on the wrapper. That's made
great tapes so this is a better entry level ferric than most.






No comments:

Post a Comment