Saturday 14 December 2013

TAPE TEST

TAPE TEST
This test auditions TDK tapes only and it was was carried just to see the differences between each tape. It wasn't hard to find the right CD and that was the 1987 album, 'Famous Blue Raincoat' by Jennifer Warnes, for the simple reason it is a DDD recording and not only that, it showcases all kinds of arrangements from band ensemble to piano and vocals to an orchestration of vocals. As this is an original copy from 1987 the sound is uncompressed and
upon listening it is an exceptionally well recorded album. Anybody familiar with this album will know how clear and clean it sounds. This album, and 'Brothers In Arms' by Dire Straits
are very good examples of digital recordings from the 80s and ideal for tests as specific as this. I have been listening to 'Famous Blue Raincoat' for over 25 years so you could say I know every nuance of the album. I've recorded it many times for my Walkman using all kinds of tapes so you could say I know it pretty well. I must add, I am a big vinyl man, it's always been my preferred format. I tolerate CDs and have foolishly dabbled with mp3 and iTunes in recent years. I have got back into tapes recently just for kicks! Let's check out the gear!

This is my current listening gear, an early 90s Kenwood KA 3020 SE amp,
Pioneer DV 747A DVD player that plays every type of disc, CD, SACD, DVD, DVD-A
multi channel, mp3. It has superb audio as well as great video. The tape deck is a Pioneer CT-S430S I bought new in 1996 and is a middle of the road 2 head machine that I use for transcribing tapes to digital on my Mac. It was put back in the system after nearly a decade standing alone and used for digitizing cassettes like I said. The speakers are a pair of 2003 Mission M73 floor standing without the sand bags! (I never got around to doing that).
Early 90s Rega Planar 2 turntable not pictured!

ROLL THE TAPE!
These are the actual tapes I used. I started with a D (Type I) and moved on to an SA (Type II)
and from that on to an SA-X (Type II) and after that moving up to a MA-X (Type IV) and on to the TDK 'holy grail' the MA-XG (Type IV). The reason I didn't use any more Type I's is that I simply didn't have any I could tape over, plus they are rare in my collection as I always went
mainly for Type IIs. I know the AR and AR-X were very good Type I's but I never really went for them. The is no Dolby NR in use here at all and the Bias and EQ for each tape is done automatically on the deck with the touch of a button. The level was set so
the signal stays around the 0dB mark. 

Tape #1 TDK D 90 (Type I)
This tape came out surprisingly well capturing this crystal clear album.
The sound was detailed, warm and focused. The vocals were very good
and subtle nuances and percussion were all where they should be in the
soundstage. This sounded fine and would pass for the average listener.
Tape hiss was most noticeable here especially in the quiet passages.

Tape #2 TDK SA 54 (Type II)
The old classic SA is a great test tape at any time. Well here, the hiss was
a little higher than I expected  but the performance was punchy, powerful and
engaging. There was a clean snap from percussion, vocals were warm and deep
and bass sufficient and precise. It picked up the nuances without a problem
presenting a good well balanced soundstage, that was both accurate
and enjoyable.

Tape #3 TDK SA-X 90 (Type II)
The tape was super crisp and the subtle details were superb, sharp and clear.
All the reverbs on tracks were dimensional sounding and light percussion
jingled and clicked right out of the mix. The vocals were clear and flawless.
There was that 'in the room' feeling but it seemed to be slightly lacking bass.
Hiss was very low and overall the sound was excellent. This tape did a good
job if not a tad too sterile for it's own good.

Tape #4 TDK MA-X 46 (Type IV)
Now this is where it really starts to change gear. This tape immediately draws you
in and makes you really want to listen. The detail is immense and all the instruments in the mix can be picked out with ease and even new sounds can be heard. This tape really does
soak up the signal and deliver a super, warm and extremely engaging soundstage. The vocals were so clear that with my eyes closed, I nearly thought Warnes was in the room singing to me! The drums were really punchy and precise and a pure please to listen to.
It's hard to believe this actual cassette is 25 years old, it is, I bought it in 1988!
All in all, for what it's worth, an amazing audio experience.

Tape #5 TDK MA-XG 90 (Type IV)
Just when I thought it could get no better, well I was kind of expecting it to, as this baby is one of the most famous cassettes ever made and the fact that some tapeheads have never even seen one in the flash is reason enough to be in awe of this Metal Monster! Apart from the over-engineered construction that set's it apart from the MA-X, and I don't even know what the G stands for, it is an amazing looking and sounding tape. It's designers must have been laughing their heads off once they completed it, as they knew they made a cracker of a cassette only to be rivaled by Sony's Super Metal Master. The sound is tough, clear and very precise. The bass is muscular and masterful. The detail is brilliant, nuances are breathtaking and the vocals are so real that it's hard to believe it's a tape and not a CD. I actually think it sounds better than the CD. Why? It captures the image in analog and plays it back with the warmth and scope that CD just never quite had. This tape takes the harshness out of CD and gives faithful reproduction of the digital image in glorious analog style!


THE VERDICT!
Well it's easy to see, or hear, the winner. The TDK MA-XG (Hurray!) and runner up, the MA-X
(Yaaaa!) and to be honest the MA-X is very enjoyable and more than capable of delivering the muffins, but for that extra kick and icing on top, the MA-XG takes it all.

I will never listen to an iPod again after this, in fact I've just cleared my Mac of mp3 music gaining more HD space. Goodbye iTunes, you lo-fi, time waster and welcome back analog cassette. Shall we dance?


No comments:

Post a Comment