Wednesday 2 July 2014

Tape Test - The Legendary Sony UX-ES

SONY UX-ES AUDITION
This test, auditions one of the greatest Type II cassettes from 1987,
the top of the range UX-ES, there is also a UX-Pro but it uses the same tape
as far as I know. I have several 1988 versions of this cassette, (narrow window), but
this is my very first of this version that I bought online especially to audition.

THE DECK
Pioneer CT-S810S with Super Auto BLE'd UX-ES ready to roll!
No Dolby NR used. Amp Kenwood KA 3020 SE. Speakers Mission M73.

THE MUSIC
A fair variety of music for the test!

First up is Suzanne Vega's 'Tired of Sleeping' from 'Days Of Open Hand' 1990 DDD.
While recording I couldn't tell the difference from the source and as I concentrated on
the recording flipping the monitor on and off I actually preferred the tape. The CD was flat
and rigid while the tape was tight, deep open and the vocals were pristine and dead center.
This was a joy to listen to with closed eyes, every tiny nuance of the mix could be heard
amid the drums, bass, organ and guitars. Tape hiss was very low and the tape was bursting with energy, working with little effort to please my senses. In other words stunning.

Joe Satriani 'Flying in a Blue Dream' from 1999 Remastered CD of the same name.
This track fades in with guitar feedback and the noise of some distant talking, but when the heavily compressed clean guitars panned left and right came out of the speakers, I knew I wasn't dreaming. The drums burst in with the subsonic bass and steamed along like a juggernaut. This is what I call power and then when the solo guitar came in I could hear every squeak and squeal that came from the heavily overdriven guitar. I actually thought if I reached out my hand I could actually touch Joe's Ibanez axe! Dazzling performance
and again better than the CD!

Supertramp 'The Logical Song' from 'Breakfast in America 2002 remaster.
The opening Rhodes piano was solid but warm and the percussion clicked like seashells.
The vocal was edgy and the bass super-tight. The cymbals were jangling and seemed to float around the mix and around my head. This performance was a little hissy in comparison to the others but the tape did not overstate this giving a super performance. There is a warmth to this tape that lacks in other high end Type IIs by other manufacturers.

Christina Aguilera 'The Voice Within' from Stripped 2002.
This was to show how the tape would perform with the more recent production values of the 00s. The opening piano was solid and airy with miss Aguilera's fine voice crystal clear and bang on in the centre. The song seemed to float along in comparison to the CD and Christina's amazing voice was even more lively. The bass and drums kick in for verse two with a solidness and punch only analog can deliver and I am riveted to the vocal delivery and it makes me wish I could have see her perform this in the studio, but the UX-ES
gives me the best 'second hand' audition possible I believe!

Keith Jarrett Trio 'The Wrong Blues' from Standards Live, 1986 ADD.
Finally some jazz, and I always loved my jazz on Sony UX and UX-S tapes.
This was just perfection, the bass was really solid and muscular with an elastic delivery in perfect time to the heavy brass percussion on the drum kit. The bell of the ride cymbal rang so clearly I nearly got goosebumps, the brushes were almost in the room. The piano was both heavy and musical with a super sparkle on the high register. This is the sound of a jazz trio at their peak in concert during the mid 80s and I was almost there! I did see this trio live a few times in the last ten years.

THE VERDICT

So what do I think of this cassette? It's amazing. It handled different types of music and played it back musically and very beautifully without a problem, noise was very low and drop-outs unheard. It's incredible to think with all the technology we have today, that more than a quarter of a century ago, the Sony UX-ES was a stunning musical performer. There is very little even today that can match class this high, so don't you even bother trying! 
Thank you Sony UX-ES for making the music I love that much more lovable!


  


No comments:

Post a Comment